Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Literacy Development.

While reading the chapter's section on young children's literacy development, I was trying to place the 2nd grade I am in somewhere in the chart. Since it is later on in the year, I would put many of the students right over the line into fluent readers, however, a majority of them (if not all) are in the beginning stages for writing.
I have not seen much writing in my CT's classroom, at least not enough samples of student writing to convince me that they are anywhere near fluent, especially from what I've personally seen while in class. In the past when I have been around while they were working on a writing piece, it was a struggle to get some students to write more than a couple sentences. I've noticed that with some assignments that involve any sort of writing, my CT has to give them a minimum of sentences to write, otherwise they would be happy with writing just one sentence, whether or not it more were needed to get the point or answer across. I assume from this chapter, however, that they are still learning the writing process and my CT does seem to be trying different styles of writing in hopes of gaining some more interest in those students that are struggling or resisting. I know for a while I was a student that resisted writing because I never felt like I knew exactly what to write.
I thought that the section on interactive writing was interesting, it brought back memories of doing interactive writing in elementary schools. I have yet to see my CT use interactive writing. There hasn't really been an opportunity for this to happen, I suppose because as I think back to the different things they do while I am there, I can't think of a spot where it could be included. I suppose, though, that interactive writing could maybe be used during math. The students do sometimes come up to share their answers on the SMARTboard.
Like Cindy, reading and writing are subjects that I have been nervous about teaching ever since we started TE301 (a lot of stuff from that class came screaming back to me while reading this chapter!). I like a lot of the elements that Ms. McCloskey uses and hope to keep some of those ideas to take with me through the internship year.

No comments:

Post a Comment