Monday, March 2, 2009

Chapter 7

"Readers use the reader factors - activating background knowledge, setting purposes, reading fluently, applying comprehension strategies, making inferences, and being motivated and attentive - as they read and think about the text. These factors determine whether readers will be successful." (Ch. 7, pg. 225). This statement ring especially true after reading chapter 7. I thought that the strategies Mrs. Donnelly used were very meaningful and would be extremely beneficial for students to understand how to use comprehension strategies while reading. I thought the idea of the sticky notes was a great idea. Not only is it a scaffolding device for students, but it also helps them comprehend what they are reading so they better understand the text in the long run. From personal experience, recording thinking while I read is extremely beneficial. I have never used sticky notes, but think that's an awesome idea. I use a notebook and take down notes as I read and have found that it is very helpful to understanding the text as well as gathering my thoughts. Also, having students predict what they think might happen in a book is another great comprehension strategy. It is a great starter for group conversation and for gaining a better insight of how students' think about literature. Even though some of Mrs. Donnelly's students had incorrect predictions, her students "became engaged in the story and were eager for their teacher to continue reading." (Ch. 7, pg. 218) When students become directly involved in the texts using comprehension skills, they become far more enthused and excited about the text. This chapter reminded me a lot of my TE 348 class I took last semester. All the "roles" we had to perform after the books were about intertextual connections, text to text connections, summarzing, etc. These are great strategies to get children involved in reading because it gives them a direct purpose for why they are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment