Monday, February 9, 2009
Understanding Literature
The article, "Understanding Literature" by Judith A. Langer made an amazing point that many language arts teachers are more concerned with the "right" answers to questions about the text than answers that are deep and require critical thinking. One of the reasons I love language arts and literacy so much is because this is one of the few subjects that allows for critical thinking and deep analysis of the text. Langer wrote, "observers reorted that when teachers sought students' personal responses during language arts lessons, they tended to do so for "motivation," with discussion soon turning toward a quest for the "right" answer." (page 41) I think that this is such a shame because tapping into students' critical explanations ultimately leads them to thinking on a whole new and much deeper level. Langer points out that after reading a book, readers "clarify ideas as they read and relate them to the growing whole- the whole informs the parts as well as the parts building toward the whole. They also continually try to go beyond the information given." (page 41). This is an important skill for students to have because it gives the text new meaning and leaves room for "alternative interpretations," ultimately eliminating this idea of "right" and "wrong" answers. Teachers can help their students think deeper into the texts by asking them questions before, during, and after the story is read. These questions will promote discussions about the book itself and open doors for new interpretations and deeper thinking. I have seen my CT use some of these techniques while reading out loud to her class. She will ask the students questions about parts of the story previously read and then ask them their opinions on what they think will happen next in the plot. Also, she will ask them questions on the characters and setting. I think this article was very helpful in seeing how important it is for students to be able to think of text critically instead of taking everything at face value.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This practice of discussing themes and events in literacy is so important and I feel would be much more beneficial than the right and wrong answers described in the beginning. From what I can remember, "discussions" in my many of my English classes in high school were based on facts and what the teacher(s) thought as right and wrong answers, even when discussing something with deeper thought, like symbolism, etc. I think that being more opened minded is important during these discussions and that you can learn from your students and their points of views because they are looking at pieces from maybe a more innocent eye or are able to step back and see the things in a story that a teacher may not.
ReplyDeleteThinking critically, I used to think, was only able to older students, but as I have seen a few times in my field placement, that younger students are just as capable.
I completely agree with you, Anne. Critical thinking can occur at any age! And as Katie mentioned, it is so important to look for answers that go above and beyond simply the "right" answer. Right answers often lead to dead-ended discussions. If a student is not given the opportunity to express their thoughts to a higher degree, it will limit their growth in critical thinking skills. There is one problem that can arise from critical thinking and that is off-track thinking and discussing. This is where the teacher needs to become involved to get the students back to critical thinking pertaining to the discussion and literature.
ReplyDelete