Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Eshet-Alkalai

I read the Eshet-Alkalai article and it focused on the different forms of digital literacy that people who constantly interact with the digital world encounter frequently. Of all of the literacies that were discussed, I was quite intrigued by both the reproduction literacy and the socio-emotional literacy. On a large scale the idea of reproduction literacy is completely mind blowing to me when I think about the amount of information available to be copied, sent, forwarded, created, recreated, collected, etc. on the internet without the need for any paper at all. The possibilities are literally unlimited on the internet. The article discussed copyright and what is right for someone to claim as their own. This was an interesting idea. People can basically do whatever they want on the internet and they are essentially doing it in secret. It is not difficult to take other people's work in one click...and the battle over plagiarism has been made so easily accessible that the possiblilies are practically endless. The socio-emotional literacy was a completely new term to me. I found it interesting because I have always pondered the possibilities of trust when the entire globe is connected through the internet. No one has to tell the truth about anything-people do, but what makes something printed legitimate? How will we ever be COMPLETELY sure that what we are reading about is fact in the midst of millions of documentations saved to the world wide web? In the grand scheme of things both of these types of literacy have forced me to think of the internet in a way that I typically do not. It is so big with so many capabilities...and apparently so many forms of new literacy.

2 comments:

  1. This post gave also gave me new insight to new digital technologies that are becoming more and more used on a daily basis, specifically the internet. The internet and the world wide web have opened the doors to new kinds of questioning. Most people use the internet at least a few times throughout the day to either research, e-mail, entertainment, etc. I completely agree that the idea of reproducing and plagiarizing other peoples' work is incredibly frequent due to all the resources available on the internet at just a click of a mouse. It is very apparent that with the internet, plagiarizing has become more frequent. Another downfall the internet has brought is the fact that anybody can post up information whether it is credible or not. Anybody with the access to the internet and a computer is able to put whatever they wish online for the world to see; whether this information is accurate or not is up to you to decipher. This is a very scary reality that the internet and new technologies continues to bring to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely! This semester I signed up for technology in teaching and the things that I am creating right now are fascinating to me. I did not know that any of this existed! After creating a blog, portfolio and other things like this I began thinking those same thoughts! Trust, how can I trust who is looking at what I am working on? My name is being presented out there on the web and how can I feel comfortable. Once I am a teacher and I begin integrating technology into my classroom with my students how can I trust they are safe. Trust is a huge issue with the internet and I feel some people put to much trust into it.

    ReplyDelete